Books of 2014 - Part Two

I started the year unintentionally racing through books - reading one a week  - and though that average has shrunk (due in part to the beasts that are Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch and The Secret History) I can still say that all the books have been good in their own ways - and some were the best I've ever read.
I always encourage giving books as presents, and as it's that time of year when Christmas present-induced panic can start to set in, I thought I might reminisce on what I've enjoyed this year, (continuing the list from where the last one ended), highlighting in bold the ones I think would make particularly good presents, even though they are not actually not new.
The last one I can't claim to have read, but wouldn't mind having for myself - if, Santa, you happen to be reading...

The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion
The Shock of the Fall - Nathan Filer
The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
The Secret Garden - Frances Hodges Barnet
Coming Up Trumps - Jean Trumpington
A Curious Career - Lynn Barber
The Farm - Tom Rob Smith
The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt
A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
Not That Kind of Girl - Lena Dunham
How to Build a Girl - Caitlin Moran
At Home: a Short History of Private Life - Bill Bryson
The Secret History - Donna Tartt
My Paris Kitchen: Recipes and Stories - David Lebovitz 


*Currently reading The Table Comes First - Adam Gopnik


Comments

Popular Posts