How To Be a Domestic God: Part Two

After finally using up some old bananas a while ago to make a banana loaf, now I have managed to salvage a baguette that was lingering in the cupboard for close on two weeks (if I didn't bake with it I could have used it as a baseball bat).
I'm not sure how the baguette wasn't mouldy, it was a good quality one which might have helped, but it had a texture not dissimilar to polystyrene.
Anyway with a bit of hacking and sawing (and a little help from the microwave) I cut the baguette into cubes to transform them into a chocolate chip bread pudding. I like cubing the bread (apparently the American way) rather than have it in slices because I think it makes the end result lighter, and chocolate is always going to improve things.
The recipe is an adaptation of (who else?) Nigella's, which appears in Kitchen and I have included my version below (she uses rum and double cream - I didn't have either so made do with what I had, and also halved the recipe as I didn't have that much bread).
I should say that while this is obviously meant as a dessert - stodgy but still light and comforting - I in fact had it for dinner...
There are days when only pudding will do.

Approx. 125g stale bread, cubed
50g chocolate chips
2 medium eggs
20g soft light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
325ml milk (full-fat probably best but I used semi-skimmed)
Demerara sugar for sprinkling

Butter a round pie dish (I used a glass one about the size of a small dinner plate)
and put the bread cubes and chocolate chips in it.
Whisk together the milk, eggs, vanilla and sugar and pour this into the pie dish.
Leave to soak for a bit (10 minutes or so) then sprinkle on the 
demerara for extra crunch and bake for 40 - 50 minutes.

Dinner is served!



Comments

Popular Posts